Friday, February 14, 2014

Red Velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting

Today is Valentine’s Day and Love is in the air everywhere. When I went to grocery shopping yesterday after his swimming lesson, all I wanted to buy was some tomatoes as I ran out of tomatoes. So I thought I will make a quick stop and get them.

But then when we entered the store, we saw that everyone were buying flowers, chocolate covered strawberries, special valentine day treats….  Then we were also tempted to do something for Valentine ’s Day. I got my son a cute “puppy” soft toy holding a heart-shaped chocolate box. And he said he is going to make the best card ever…awwwwwwww

Then we were thinking what should we buy for my husband, I don’t want to buy those chocolate boxes for him and I wanted to give something made especially for him. So I started shopping for cute little Valentine ’s Day themed cupcake liners, sprinkles. There I was standing in the store and thinking what kind of cupcake will go along with the theme.  What other than the “Red-Velvet” cupcakes will be more suitable for this day?

I had almost everything I needed for the cake in my pantry except for the sour cream and the cream cheese. So I grabbed them quickly in the store and came home. Since my husband was out for a Business dinner we wanted to surprise him with the cupcakes. We fixed ourselves a quick dinner and started making the cupcakes around 9 0 clock. After I made the cupcakes I let them cool down completely while I put my son to sleep and then started frosting the cupcakes. It is such a simple recipe and will definitely make a great “Valentine Treat”.

I am sending this recipe for the "Kid's Delight - Baked Treats for Kids" event hosted this time by "Seduce your Taste Buds" here. This event is originally hosted by Spicing your life blog, please take a look here for further details. This is such a nice event and all the themes are just so cool and definitely will help a lot of us, parents.



Recipe

Red – Velvet cupcakes:

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 and 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
Few drops of the Red Food Color
2 and 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line the muffin trays with the cupcake liners.

Mix the dry ingredients flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl and set aside. Beat the butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. 

Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Now check for the color of the batter and if needed add few drops of extra food color. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not over beat. Spoon batter into the muffin tray by filling each cup 2/3 full.

Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 5 minutes. Then remove them from pans and cool completely.

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting:

Ingredients

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
1 (16 ounce) pack of confectioners' sugar
(3 and ¾ cup of confectioner’s sugar)

Beat softened cream cheese, softened butter, sour cream and the Vanilla Extract in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.

Once the frosting is ready and the cupcakes are cooled down. Then frost them with the cream cheese frosting and decorate them with some sprinkles. You can even place some fresh cherries on top and give them a beautiful touch.





-- Sang V

No comments:

Post a Comment