Thursday, January 30, 2014

Ginger Chai – Indian ginger Tea

If you ask me for one thing I am really addicted and find it very difficult to give up is my morning cup of Tea. And what makes it most interesting is that I had started drinking Tea just four year before.
I used to ask myself how did I survive without drinking tea all along J
 
I am usually a very strong willed person. But when it comes to tea, I really get tempted. Even the days I diet or fast I cannot stay away from my tea. My day usually starts with a cup of hot strong sweetened ginger tea.  
For me tea is an energy booster, it just refreshes me and keeps me happy.
 
I have developed a particular taste for tea, so I keep trying out tea at various Indian restaurants and Coffee/Tea shops in U.S  whenever I get a chance. So far “Starbucks” – Chai Latte is the one that impresses me.
So when I visited India recently after four years, I was really excited to try out Tea in India as  this was the first visit to India after I started drinking Tea. Okay, I have to agree that the best tea I have ever tasted was when I visited a textile(cloth) store with my sister.
My sister is one of their favorite customers, and so I was treated with a “Special Masala Tea” ; I guess came from some Tea- Stall nearby in a small glass.
 
Since my husband did not come with me that day I kept on him telling about the tea. I even tried “Chai Latte” in some coffee shop in the ‘Dubai Airport’ when we were in-transit…sorry could not resist.
 
Okay, I need to take a breath here and give you the recipe before getting carried away. Below is one of my favorite recipe for my “cup of tea”:


 
Recipe
 
Ingredients:
 
Makes 2 servings
1 cup of milk
1 cup of water
1 big piece of ginger
(1 tablespoon grated ginger)
3 cardamom pods
2 teaspoon sugar
2  and ½ teaspoon Tea (loose tea)
 
You might need a ‘Tea Strainer’ to strain in the end, but in case you don’t have one in hand, a clean kitchen towel or cheese cloth might help you temporarily.
 
Combine the milk and the water in sauce pan and heat it in a stove. When they start boiling add the grated ginger and sugar. if you don’t take sugar for some reason you can omit the sugar and just add the grated ginger. Let it boil for few more minutes.
Now add the loose tea and crushed cardamom powder and bring it to a boil. Switch off and cover and let it steep for another 5 minutes.
 
Then strain the tea directly into the cups using the strainer carefully. Serve hot with some tea rusk or Indian biscuits.
 
Tip:
I usually add some hot boiling water in my cup or thermos and keep it aside until the tea is ready to be strained. Then empty the cup and strain the tea into the hot cups/thermos. The hot cup helps to  keeps the tea hot a little longer, and is especially very useful during winter times.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment